Best Camping Tents 2017 Master Buying Guide
Table of Contents
- Coleman 14×8 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent
- Coleman Red Canyon 17×10 8-Person Modified Dome Tent
- Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6×5 2-Person Dome Tent
- Mountain Trails South Bend 9×7, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent
- Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent
Coleman 14×8 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent
The Coleman 14×8 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent is one of Coleman’s most popular tents for sale on the market. With enough room to sleep eight campers, and weatherproof material used all around, this tent is designed to provide a comfortable, dry camping experience for families, scout troops, or just large groups of friends who want to head out to the wilderness for a bit of fun and relaxation. We’ve long been impressed with Coleman tents, and the Coleman 14×8 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent displays just why so many people choose Coleman over other manufacturers.
While the Coleman 14×8 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent is a bit more compact than 14×10 foot offerings, it still offers plenty of space for campers to stretch out after a fun day of fishing, hunting, boating or just hanging out at the campsite. And when it comes to easy set-up, you couldn’t ask for more from a tent. We’ve seen lots of large family tents over the years, but none have been as easy to set up – and tear down – as this Coleman 8 person tent.
The Coleman 14×8 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent is a family tent that’s designed for hot to slightly cool weather camping. This model is by no means a four season tent – one that’s designed for camping even in near-frozen weather conditions. However, we feel secure in saying that this tent will provide adequate protection from the elements for most spring to fall camping that you might do. And with heavy, coated polyester material and a strong frame, this tent does an admirable job of standing up in near hurricane force winds.
- Venting – This tent provides plenty of ventilation for a more comfortable camping experience. With four large windows and two doors, all with roll down covers and screened venting, the Coleman 14×8 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent gives you plenty of air when you need it most.
- Panel Material – The Coleman 14×8 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent is made to keep you and your camping party protected from the wind and rain. The panels are made from thick, coated polyester material that is specially treated to be water resistant and almost completely wind proof.
- Floor Material – The floors of this 8 person tent are made of the same material as the panels. The floors are constructed with even stronger welding and inverted seams applied to the floor to keep the floors from getting damp or cold.
- Wall Type – The Coleman 14×8 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent uses a single layer of wall panels to provide plenty of protection against wind and rain. While double wall tents are a bit more durable, the single layer design is fine for most short term camping trips.
- Doors – It’s easy to get in and out of this tent with the two large doors located on the front and the back of the tent. Like the windows, the doors have roll down covers to provide a bit more protection, and can be easily opened for more air flow in the tent.
- Windows – Four windows are strategically placed around this tent. When all the windows are rolled down, the tent easily fills with sunlight and plenty of fresh air.
- Rooms – If you want to divide the tent up for privacy, the Coleman 14×8 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent allows you to subdivide to two smaller room areas.
- Design – This tent has a classic vestibule design that is attractive and functional.
Dimensions & Weight
The center height of the Coleman 14×8 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent is 76 inches. The campsite footprint of this tent is 14×8 feet. These dimensions allow this tent to be spacious, without taking up excessive room on the campsite. This tent weighs in at 37.7 pounds, so it is a tad on the heavy side.
This is where the Coleman 14×8 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent stands out from the competition. They don’t call this the “Instant” tent for nothing. The poles are all pre-attached to the tent paneling to allow for a quick, seamless assembly. In fact, with two people setting the tent up, you can expect to have it ready for action in about one minute. Other tents can take upwards of ½ hour or more, so it’s nice to know that you don’t have to spend much time or energy getting this tent set up.
- Convenient carrying bag is included
- Pre-attached poles for quick set up.
- Four windows and double doors for easy access and good airflow.
Pros & Cons
- This tent sets up in less than one minute with two people doing the work.
- Plenty of room inside for families and large camping parties.
- Easy to control airflow with lots of big windows and double doors.
- It will sleep eight people, but that is only if the people are roughing it in sleeping bags. If you use air mattresses, you won’t fit near as many people in this tent.
- It is heavy to carry around in the field. Definitely not a backpacking tent.
To get the best details on how this tent stacks up, it’s a good idea to see what real life campers think of this tent. With that in mind, we took a look at the available customer reviews for the 14×8 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent. All told, we found over four dozen reviews, and noticed that this tent has earned a positive 3.9 star customer satisfaction rating. When it comes to cheap tents for sale, the price is right without giving up quality.
While the 14×8 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent may not be ideal for extreme camping trips, it is great for typical weekend outings. If you’re traveling with more than a few campers in tow, you’d be hard pressed to find a more convenient, easy to assemble tent than the Coleman 14×8 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent.
Sortable Tent Comparison Guide
|Sundome 4 Person Tent||Coleman||9x7||59"||9.7 lbs||4||no||Dome||$70|
|Sundome 2 Person Tent||Coleman||7x5||48"||7.17 lbs||2||no||Dome||$45|
|Happy Camper 2 Person||Wakeman||6.5||42"||3.1 lbs||2||no||Dome||$15|
|EXIO 4 Person Backpacking||EXIO||8x7||45"||5.25 lbs||4||no||Dome||$125|
|CORE 3 Person Dome Tent||CORE||7x7||42"||8.0 lbs||3||no||Dome||$48|
|Sundome 3 Person Tent||Coleman||7x7||52"||8.7 lbs||3||no||Dome||$60|
|Evanston Screened Tent||Coleman||15x12||72"||26.38 lbs||8||no||Dome||$120|
|CORE 9 Person Extended Dome||CORE||16x9||72"||20.0 lbs||9||no||Dome||$120|
|Wnnideo Instant Family Tent 6||Wnnideo||10x7||57"||9.26 lbs||6||yes||Dome||$80|
|Wenzel 8 Person Klondike||Wenzel||16x11||78"||27.3 lbs||8||no||Dome||$150|
|Techcell 2 Person Tent||Techcell||6.5x5||39"||3.3 lbs||2||no||Dome||$25|
|2 & 3 Person Camping Tent||Toogh||6x6||29"||5.95 lbs||2||yes||Dome||$55|
|Finnkare 3-Person 3-Season||Finnkare||7x7||51"||5.5 lbs||3||no||Dome||$40|
|Ozark Trail 10-Person 3-Room||OZARK||20x10||78"||31.0 lbs||7+||no||Cabin||$130|
|Coleman Montana 8-Person||Coleman||16x7||74"||24.5 lbs||8||no||Cabin||$110|
|Wenzel Kodiak Tent - 9 Person||Wenzel||14x14||92.5"||35.14 lbs||9||no||Cabin||$175|
|Korotus 3-4 Person Pop Up||Korotus||6.5x6.5||53"||3.5 lbs||3||yes||Dome||$45|
|Sundome 6 Person Tent||Coleman||10x10||72"||5.0 lbs||6||no||Dome||$80|
|Coleman 8 Person Tenaya Lake||Coleman||13x9||76"||35.36 lbs||8||no||Cabin||$185|
|Coleman 6-Person Instant Cabin||Coleman||10x9||72"||24.9 lbs||6||yes||Cabin||$175|
|CORE 9 Person Instant Cabin||Coleman||14x9||78"||35.15 lbs||9||yes||Cabin||$225|
|Coleman Pop up Tent||Coleman||9x6||40"||2.0 lbs||4||yes||Dome||$75|
|Coleman 8 person instant tent||Coleman||14x10||78"||25.0 lbs||8||yes||Cabin||$240|
|ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1-Person||ALPS||2.8x7.5||36"||3.41 lbs||1||no||Backpack||$100|
|CCTRO 2 Person Camping Tent||CCTRO||6x4.5||42"||4.2 lbs||2||no||Backpack||$34|
|ALPS Mountaineering Mystique||ALPS||3.5x8||36"||4.6 lbs||1||no||Backpack||$80|
|Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person||Mountainsmith||4.5x7.5||43"||5.53 lbs||1||no||Backpack||$120|
|TETON Sports Mountain Ultra Tent||Teton Sports||7x2.5||39.5"||3.3 lbs||1||no||Backpack||$121|
Coleman Red Canyon 17×10 8-Person Modified Dome Tent
If you thought that dome style tents were only for hardcore survivalists and the rough outdoors-men of the world, the Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent just may change the way that you think about these tents. With enough space to sleep eight campers in sleeping bags, and the ability to divide the tent up into three separate sleeping/camping areas, the Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent may very well be the best dome tent that we’ve seen to date.
The Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent is designed to be friendly to newbie campers and seasoned campers alike. With Coleman’s WeatherTec system, this is one dome tent that’s sure to provide a dry, comfortable camping environment, even when the storm clouds are breaking loose torrential downpours. And with plenty of windows and a smart ventilation system, you’ll be able to sleep in cool comfort or toasty warmness no matter what type of weather comes your way.
As we mentioned earlier, the Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent is a dome tent. Unlike popular vestibule style tents, dome tents are known for being a bit easier to put up on virtually any type of camping terrain. Typically, though, dome style tents are one or two person models that are meant to be used by backpackers. The Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent breaks tradition and offers families and large camping groups to experience the thrill of camping in a dome tent.
- Venting – The Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent features plenty of windows and Coleman’s well known Cool-Air port & Variflo features to provide adequate air flow. Tents can get very hot and steamy without proper air flow. These features help to keep campers as comfortable as can be and free from the mugginess of tents that don’t have advanced ventilation features like this tent possesses.
- Panel Material – The outside panels of this tent are made from thick, coated polyester fabric with anti-wicking thread stitching. This material and stitching allows for a truly weather resistant camping experience.
- Floor Material – The floors of the Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent are made from the same material that the panels are – with a twist. Welding technology is used to ensure a stronger tent floor that is resistant to needle holes.
- Wall Type – Like most other dome tents, the Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent features a single tent wall. Thankfully, though, the weather resistant material and strong frame combine to make the walls as sturdy as possible, while providing enough give to avoid getting blown over by the wind.
- Doors – The Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent features a single door. The door is large enough to allow easy access and features rainfly covers to prevent any water from getting inside.
- Windows – With four windows (including the screened section of the door) the Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent has enough ventilation for comfortable camping, while providing visibility to the campsite from inside the tent.
- Rooms – The Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent features room dividers that allow you to subdivide the tent up into three rooms. Families can camp together, giving kids their own area, and a separate room for parents.
- Design – The Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent is what we would call a three-season tent. While it is better equipped for more rugged camping environments, it’s not a full fledged four season tent. This model is clearly made for weekend campers and families who want to take extended camping trips together.
Dimensions & Weight
The center is the highest point of this Coleman dome tent – measuring in at 72 inches high. The overall footprint dimensions are 17 feet by 10 feet. This tent allows you to have plenty of coverage without taking up a huge amount of ground space on the campsite of your choice. This tent weighs in at just 24 pounds, so it’s not too hard to carry to the campsite.
The Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent comes with the tent, poles and stakes all in their own storage area for a more seamless set up process. The assembly instructions are sewn into the carrying bag, so you never lose them.
To set the tent up, it is recommended that two people work together. With two people following the easy to read directions it typically takes between 10 and 20 minutes to have this tent fully set up and ready for some seriously fun camping time.
- Room dividers to make three living spaces in the tent.
- Shock corded poles make for an easier, more stable assembly.
- Cool-Air port provides ventilation while giving you storage space for gear.
- Handy carrying bag keeps all the tent parts in separate, logical locations.
Pros & Cons
- Very easy for two people to set up in less than ½ hour.
- Provides adequate sleeping space for 8 people in sleeping bags.
- Makes for a dry, comfortable camping experience with all the weather resistant features.
- The parts are all kept in a logical place inside the handy carrying bag.
- If people use air mattresses, you will probably only sleep three or four people in this tent.
- At 24 pounds, this tent can be a bit difficult to carry over long distances.
- Assembly is difficult without a partner to help you out.
To find out how this dome tent stacks up, let’s see what real customers had to say about this model. With nearly three hundred customer reviews posted online, the Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent has so far earned an amazingly high rating of 4.4 out of 5.0 stars. That score makes this one of the highest rated of all the Coleman family tents.
For those of you looking for a roomy, easy to set up tent, you can’t go wrong by ordering the Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent.
Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6×5 2-Person Dome Tent
The Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent is designed for hikers, backpackers and campers who like to travel light. This super portable tent may be small and compact, but it still provides plenty of room for two campers to sleep comfortably. As they say, good things come in small packages, and the Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent is proof positive that Mountain Trails has gone the extra distance to make a very functional two person tent that is every bit as portable as it is protective against the elements.
The first thing we took note of while researching for this Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent was just how easy this tent is to carry around. There are a lot of tents that are supposed to be backpacking tents that still weigh in at well over 10 pounds. At just 3.5 pounds when folded up, the Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent proves itself to be amongst the most portable and practical tents for people who want to save their energy for hiking and other high energy outdoor activities.
The Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent, as the name implies, is a dome style tent. These tents are ideal for setting up on established campsites or for impromptu set ups on the side of the trail. People who like to head out with a buddy or spouse for some hiking, fishing or outdoor camping experiences, without all the heavy baggage, will find this tent to be easy to carry and a snap to set up. And best of all, you don’t sacrifice protection from the elements, as the Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent is weather resistant and leak proof.
- Venting – Things can get hot and steamy inside a two person tent very quickly. Thankfully, though, the Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent has adequate venting. This tent features two polyester mesh vents on the roof to increase air flow.
- Panel Material –The Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent’s panels are constructed from heavy coated polyester material. This material is seamed together to provide a dry camping experience, even during heavy downpours.
- Floor Material – The floor is made from welded polyethylene to prevent punctures and to provide a dry sleeping environment.
- Wall Type – Being as this tent is lightweight and meant to be used on the go, it has a single wall design to keep the elements out while keeping campers dry and comfortable.
- Doors – A single “D” style Dutch door gives you easy access to this backpacking tent.
- Windows – There are no full-sized windows on the Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent. However the two vents near the top suffice for seeing out of the tent if you need to.
- Rooms – With a tent this size you get only one room. There is no option to divide this tent into separate rooms.
- Design – The dome style design and compact build of the Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent makes it the ideal tent for people flying solo or for couples and friends going out on a fun camping expedition.
Dimensions & Weight
The Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent is just 6 feet high at its highest point. The overall footprint of this tent is six feet by five feet. Inside the tent you end up with a thirty square foot area for sleeping and hanging out. The tent only weighs in at 3.5 pounds, so it’s simple to carry around on your back.
The Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent is relatively easy to set up. All of the poles and tent material are stored together. To start set up you simply unroll the tent and its parts to get started. Set up typically takes about 10 minutes and can easily be performed by just one person. Tear down is just as easy. However, it’s smart to make sure that you keep all the tent parts in the same area that they were stored in originally, in order to pack up this tent to its smallest possible size.
Being as this tent is all about traveling light, you won’t find a lot of extras or accessories. You basically get the tent, poles, ties and other essentials that will help you to get the tent set up quickly.
Pros & Cons
- This tent is very easy to assemble, and one person can do it in about ten minutes.
- The Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent is so lightweight that you won’t even know you’re carrying a tent around with your other gear.
- Provides adequate sleeping room for two adults.
- There is little to no room to move around the tent once two people are stretched out.
- The small size means that you don’t have any gear storage space, so be sure to bring along a tarp or other storage devices to keep your gear dry overnight.
To give you the most well rounded Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent review, we went to the most reliable source of information around – real customer reviews. With nearly sixty customer reviews posted online, the Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent has so far earned a 3.8 out of 5.0 star customer satisfaction rating. A few people complained about the tent being too small for more than one large camper. And that may be true. This tent is put to use best with either two average size people or one larger camper using it.
Aside from being a bit cramped – as most backpacking tents are – we couldn’t find many other negative remarks from real life customers. And with such a low price tag, it would be hard to find another tent that offers you the portability and shelter that you get from the Mountain Trails Current Hiker 6-Foot by 5-Foot 2-Person Dome Tent.
Mountain Trails South Bend 9×7, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent
The Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent, from Wenzel, is the tent of choice for hikers and serious campers. With enough room inside to sleep four adults, families and solo campers alike will enjoy the spacious interior of this dome style tent. And with its shock –corded fiberglass poles and pin-and-ring system, it’s easy to set up this tent in a flash.
Many people simply end up with more tent than they really need; assuming that more than one or two people means having to purchase a full sized, vestibule style tent. But the Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent proves that you can have plenty of room for sleeping and protection from the elements with a classic, compact dome tent.
We’ve seen plenty of backpacking style tents attempt to put themselves over as functional tents for the whole family, but the Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent is the first model that really provides enough sleeping space for more than two people to comfortably sleep with adequate protection from the elements.
As we’ve already mentioned, the Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent is a dome style tent. By design these tents are a bit more compact and designed pretty much only for sleeping, resting and getting some much needed protection from rainy conditions. Families, fishing enthusiasts and especially hikers will enjoy the ability to carry around this lightweight tent, while still providing plenty of shelter for multiple campers. This tent would suffice as a three season tent, but lacks the serious insulation needed for extreme cold weather outings.
- Venting – With the dual mesh roof vents, the Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent provides plenty of ventilation. Smaller, dome style tents can heat up pretty quickly, so it’s important to have control over how much air flows through your tent. With these vents, along with the windows, you don’t have to suffer through the heat; instead you can camp out and enjoy the cool breeze via the smart venting options available on this tent.
- Panel Material – The Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent is built with a tough exterior panel system. The outside of the tent is constructed from durable, weather resistant, coated polyester material. The stitching is designed to repel water, for an exterior that can easily stand up to heavy downpour without letting water into the tent.
- Floor Material – The floor of the Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent is one of the toughest, best insulated floors that we’ve seen in quite some time. Made entirely from Welded polyethylene this floor is designed to withstand rips, tears and poke holes that commonly allow water to seep in. The end result is a dry, comfortable outdoor sleeping experience.
- Wall Type – The Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent is a dome tent, and therefore a bit more stripped down than larger vestibule style tents. As such this tent features only a single wall design.
- Doors – This tent is built with a handy, easy to open “D” style door. This door opens much easier than standard zipper or Velcro doors and allows easy entry and exiting of the tent.
- Windows – The Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent is built with two mesh windows. The windows tie up easily to allow more air and light into the tent and give the tent a more welcoming appearance than you get from most other dome tents.
- Rooms – The Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent features just one sleeping area. You cannot divide this tent up into separate sleeping areas.
- Design – The dome design of this tent belies its roomy interior. Essentially, this tent gives you the compact size and light weight of a dome tent, with enough sleeping room for the family. Ideal for people who spend more time outdoors enjoying fun activities, and less time hanging around the campsite.
Dimensions & Weight
The Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent features a compact 9 foot by 7 foot total area footprint. Inside, the tallest point of the tent is 52 inches high. And because this tent weighs just 7 pounds when folded up, it’s easy to carry around for long distance hikes; making it the ultimate, portable family tent.
The Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent uses what Wenzel calls its “Stow ‘n’ Go” duffel system. This system essentially means that you can set up and tear down this tent quickly; stowing it away for a quick hike to a new location. It is very easy for a single person to set this tent up in about 10 minutes. All of the poles and tie downs are included, and the instructions are sewn into the carrying bag so you never lose them.
Other than the carrying bag, you don’t get many accessories with the Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent. But being as this tent is designed for people to travel as light as possible on their outings, that is actually a good thing. Everything you need is included to get this tent set up quickly at any camp site you happen to encounter along the way.
Pros & Cons
- At 7 pounds this is one of the lightest, most compact family tents currently on the market.
- One person can easily assemble this tent in less than ten minutes.
- The integrated gear pocket and gear loft allows for some good gear storage space.
- The floor is thick and very hard to puncture, so you never have to worry about moisture seeping in overnight.
- With its highest point being just 52 inches high, adults will never be able to stand up fully inside this tent.
- With 63 square feet inside the tent, you won’t have enough room to sleep four if you use a large air mattress. It’s more likely to only sleep two if you prefer to sleep on a mattress.
Being as no Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent would be complete without seeing what real life customers have to say about this tent, we did some research to see what campers think of this tent. With nearly 20 reviews posted online, this tent has earned a positive 4.3 star customer satisfaction rating. That high score makes this one of the best received tents on the market today.
For family campers who like to hike, fish or simply want to travel as light as possible, the Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent more than comes through for providing shelter for sleeping and protection from the elements. If you have a family hiking excursion planned, or simply want a bit more room for you and a camping buddy, you can’t go wrong with the Mountain Trails South Bend 9- by 7-Foot, 4-Person Sport Dome Tent.
Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent
The Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent is the latest in a line of high quality, affordable tents from one of the world’s best outdoor gear manufacturers. This particular tent is the ultimate combination of roomy comfort and compact size. With plenty of room to sleep three adults, the Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent ensures that you stay dry and comfortable; even when you’re camping out in extreme conditions or when the weather suddenly takes a turn toward the wet side.
For such a relatively compact tent, the Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent provides plenty of ventilation for a more pleasant sleeping experience. With dual windows and a vented door, it’s not a problem to keep air flowing freely throughout this tent. And when the weather gets a bit chilly, the windows close up and tie down securely, to keep campers warm and cozy during their outdoor excursions.
We’ve long been impressed with Wenzel tents, but the Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent may very well be the most impressive dome style tent that we’ve seen from this company.
The Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent is a dome style tent – to be specific it is a pentadome (five sided dome.) This tent is adequate for three season camping. You would want something with a bit more insulation and protection for extreme cold weather camping. However with its strong design and top notch materials, you could easily camp in most settings with this tent from early spring until late autumn. In some,warmer environments, though, you could easily use this tent for year round camping fun.
- Venting – Being as the Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent is a very compact tent for three campers, we didn’t honestly expect it to have great ventilation. We were surprised, though, to find that this tent has two windows and a vented, screened door for plenty of air flow. Compared to other small dome tents, this tent actually provides top of the line ventilation.
- Panel Material – The Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent is made from heavy coated polyester material. This material is designed to be weather resistant and is stitched to be water proof. The high quality materials used to make this tent are designed to keep campers protected from the wind and rain.
- Floor Material – The floor of this tent is constructed from ultra-tough, welded polyethylene. This material is puncture and tear resistant, so you don’t have to worry about getting damp or wet while hunkering down in your sleeping bag.
- Wall Type – The Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent is designed with extreme portability in mind. As such, this tent has a single wall design.
- Doors – A single “D” style door provides additional air flow and easy access into and out of the tent.
- Windows – With two windows built into this tent it is easy to control airflow and to let a bit of light into the tent.
- Rooms – Like most smaller dome tents, the Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent is strictly a one room tent.
- Design – With its five sided dome tent, the Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent is designed for nearly year round camping. For extreme cold, you may want to opt for a more industrial strength tent, but this model should suffice for most routine camping conditions.
Dimensions & Weight
With external dimensions of 8.5 feet by 8 feet, internal space of 49 square feet and a center height of 48 inches, the Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent isn’t a tent that people will be lounging around in playing games or eating meals. But this tent does provide adequate sleeping space for three adults in sleeping bags.
With minimal parts, when compared to large vestibule tents, the Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent is easy to set up. Most people are able to set this tent up, without assistance, in about 10 minutes. If you’ve never set up a dome tent before, though, it may take you a bit longer until you get the hang of it.
- Durable duffel bag for carrying the tent on your camping trips.
- Gear loft allows you to stow your camping gear inside the tent.
- Hanging pocket provides extra storage space.
- Rain fly is included.
Pros & Cons
- At just eight pounds this tent is easy to carry around over the long haul.
- Plenty of interior room for three adults to sleep comfortably.
- The fiberglass frame is tough enough to stand up to high winds.
- Easy to set up in less than ten minutes.
- At just 48 inches high adults won’t be able to do much more than sleep or sit up inside of this tent.
- The rain fly is a bit on the small side.
With customer reviews posted by fifty real life campers, the Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent has so far earned a solid 4.0 out of 5.0 star customer satisfaction rating. A few people claimed that this tent is not roomy enough for three large campers, and that may very well be true. However, for most adults this tent provides plenty of space for basic sleeping on any camp site. And considering the low price of this tent, we think that campers really do get a lot of tent for their money when they buy the Wenzel Alpine 8.5 X 8-Feet Dome Tent.